Friday, June 15, 2012

Week Two

I realized very quickly that this summer was nothing like I expected or prepared for.  I don't think I've ever had this many emotional roller coasters back to back, especially in the same day.

This has been an interesting week.  I started it out with a very positive attitude.  I was bound and determined to make the best of every single day.  Unfortunately I can't say that it has ended with that much of a positive attitude.

On Monday we went to Tree of Life.  That was a good day for me.  I got to spend some time with the kids. And Marline, the caregiver, braided my hair!  Watch out world, I'm turning Haitian slowly, but surely.


Tuesday proved to be a very interesting day.  We went out in the morning to Williamson to finish up doing some surveying.  We left Williamson around 11:30am to head back home and to go to FPCH.  Well.... that didn't exactly happen.  

On our way to Williamson we saw tires burning on one of the side roads.  What we didn't realize was that was the start of a riot.  That community was fighting for electricity.  On our way back the road was completely blocked off and cars were just lined up for miles.  We ended up pulling off on a side road and just sat there trying to wait it out.  After about 6 hours we realized that we might not be going home.


We went to a local restaurant to get some dinner and then headed to find a hotel.  Obama Beach Hotel was near by, but when we got there we were told that they don't accept credit cards.  So off to Wahoo Beach Resort we went, but because of the riot they were packed.  Luckily one of the interns here, MC, worked her magic with a couple of the guys and we were able to stay in the workers lounge room.  Basically it was a big open room for storage with random mattresses on the ground and no lock on the door.

We left around 4am to try and head back home.  Riots typically last all day, they close up at night, and then start again early in the mornings.  So, we thought by leaving super early that we might be able to pass through before they started up.  Luckily, that's exactly what happened.  It was kinda spooky because it was pitch black, barely anyone on the streets, and we were a vehicle full of white people, not a good combination.  

We passed by where they had burned debris in the street and we cheered thinking we were in the clear.  Then we came across two vehicles in the street that had been burned and left as a barricade.  We zig-zaged past that and then came across a truck parked diagonal in the street.  We passed by that and then came across our biggest hurdle, a MACK truck parked literally across the street.  We were able to get off the road and onto the shoulder and get past the truck.  Then we were in the clear!  We made it back home a little after 5 completely worn out and very thirsty.

We rested for a little bit, had breakfast, and then headed to FPCH.  This proved to be my hardest day here. Charlie, Lara, and I decided to do well check-ups on the kids.  We measured their arms, legs, abdomens, took their temps, and got their height (we're doing their weight next week).  At least one-fourth of the kids are malnourished, many have skin rashes, several have the croupe, but one little girl, Angelica, seemed to be the worse.  She's 3 years old, has a hard time breathing, and has what seemed to be fluid on her lungs.  Charlie's initial diagnosis was pneumonia.

As I held Angelica in my arms to give her some pain reliever (we're very limited with medicine here) she clung to me.  She wrapped her little arms around my neck and wouldn't let go.  My heart began to break for this child.  I wanted to do something to make her feel better, but because we don't have adequate equipment or medicine, there really wasn't anything else we could do.  It frustrates me that medical is not a primary concern for WWV.  It frustrates me that this little girl is getting brushed under the rug because she is quiet and just another child of 31.

Leaving FPCH Wednesday I was ready to give up.  I was ready to call my mom and tell her to change my flight because I was coming home.

I spent the rest of the day discouraged and kept to myself.  That evening I had a very hard time sleeping.  I kept waking up thinking about Angelica.  That feeling continued into Thursday morning.  I had 3 separate emotional meltdowns, all in the matter of an hour.  I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything, but I had to go to Tree of Life.

I'm thankful that we went though because it helped my spirits some.  The 13 kids there seem to be happier than at the beginning of the summer.  I don't know if it's because we bring them snacks every day, so they are fuller on days we go.  Or if they are getting more comfortable with us, which allows them to open up more.  Whatever the case may be, the kids seem to smile and laugh and run around more, which I'm very thankful for.

We have a medical team staying at our house this week, so after we got home from Tree of Life, Charlie, Lara, and I went with them to go check out Angelica.  Based on their knowledge and very limited resources, they think that she does in fact have pneumonia and recommended a medicine treatment.  I ended Thursday feeling a little better about the situation because we had a plan of action for Angelica.

Today was a work day, so we didn't have any definite plans.  Charlie, Lara, and I went to FPCH to start Angelica's treatment.  The medical team recommended we be there for at least 30 minutes after we administrated her first dose in order to make sure she didn't have a reaction.  Being able to see her today and hold her was very good for me.  She wasn't as clingy as the other day, which was good; however, she was extra clingy when it came time for me to leave. It breaks my heart each time I have to peel her off me and leave her.  I just hope that this medicine will help her and she will get better super fast!


When people ask how my trip is going I feel like I always have the same answer ... Oh, it's going.  There seem to be new frustrations and disappointments every day. There are good times and bad.  Funny and sad. No day goes according to plans and something always happens that we don't expect.  Hey, it's Haiti!

7 more weeks to go ... 

BTW, my computer finally said "no more," so I probably won't be blogging as much or uploading pictures.  Check out my Instagram Album on Facebook for pictures I take on my phone!

SMG

No comments:

Post a Comment