Friday, June 1, 2012

First Day in Haiti


I was the first one to wake up this morning.  Not really surprising to me because I was the first to go to sleep and plus today is my first official day in Haiti.  Who wouldn’t be excited and ready to get the day going?  This chick sure is!!  I feel refreshed and ready to go see the wonderful people of Haiti.

During my quiet time this morning I asked God to lead me to a passage in the Bible that He wanted me to read.  I happened upon Proverbs and started reading chapter 3.  This happens to be one of my favorite passages …

            5Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
            do not depend on your own understanding.
            6Seek his will in all you do,
            and he will show you which path to take. (NLT)

BAM!!  What a verse to kick start this amazing adventure I’m set on.  I am here in Haiti without a doubt because it’s where God wants me to be.  This is the path that He has chosen for me!

Two years ago when I experienced Haiti for the first time, God started changing my desires and my passions right then.  He showed me that His will for my life wasn’t exactly what I planned to do with my life initially.  My plans were to become a nurse, work in a hospital, get married, and start a family.  His plans were for me to become a nurse and move to Haiti.  Is getting married in that equation too?  Probably.  That’s still a major desire of my heart and by this point I think God would have taken that desire away if He didn’t have planned for me to get married.  Is a family in my future?  More than likely, but it might mean I have dozens of children to love and care for in Haiti and eventually might adopt a few in the future as my own.

Is thinking about being a medical missionary in Haiti scary?  You bet your bottom dollar.  I worry about disease, natural disasters, and dehydration to name a few.  But living in the US being a nurse comes with dangers too.  So when I get worried about my future, my heart clings to this verse above and I know without a shadow of doubt that this is the path that God had planned for me all along.  I also cling to Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you.” says the Lord, “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

So let’s do this Haiti adventure!!  I’m ready to love on some babies, sit and talk to some women, and just be a shining light to their world!

SMG    

2 comments:

  1. So excited for you! Go with God . . .
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best! And such an encourager!!
      Love you!

      Delete