Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Summer Favorites: Part 3 - Car Problems

If you've read my most popular blog "Communication," then you read about the frustrations and failures of this summer. I want my supporters and sponsors to know that this summer hasn't all been terrible. It was definitely worth my time, energy, and finances to spend 9 weeks in the country that has taken over part of my heart.

I will be writing a blog series about each of my favorite things about this summer ...

Car Problems

I am convinced that the mechanics in Haiti are far more advanced than any mechanic in the states.

The way that people drive in Haiti mixed with the rough roads with tons of potholes, it is just a combination for disaster  You'd think there wouldn't be any working vehicles - that is where the superb mechanics come in!

We had a flat tire my very first day in Haiti, a tire completely fall apart last week, and a broken front axial a couple weeks into the summer.  The tires were both no problem.  The flat tire we got fixed and put back on the car and the tire that fell apart we replaced with a spare. 

Fixing the axial was a different story.  Now, I'm no car expert by any means, but from the knowledge I do have, if the front axial is no longer connected to the front tire, then that's just asking for trouble, right?

We were driving home with Tipap when he stopped the car, got out, kicked the front tire, and said, "wow!"  When Tipap says "wow" you know something is wrong!  Without hesitation, he got a rope from the back of the car and tied the axial back together and we drove home.

Superb mechanics I tell ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment