Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summer Favorites: Part 1 - Tree of Life and FPCH

If you've read my most popular blog "Communication," then you read about the frustrations and failures of this summer.  I want my supporters and sponsors to know that this summer hasn't all been terrible.  It was definitely worth my time, energy, and finances to spend 9 weeks in the country that has taken over part of my heart.

I will be writing a blog series about each of my favorite things about this summer ...

Tree of Life and Foundation for the Promising Children of Haiti (FPCH)

When I came to Haiti this summer I thought I was going to be doing primarily medical work, with a few other things on the side.  What I didn't know was that I would be spending the first several weeks only doing those few other things on the side.  That included visiting two orphanages on a pretty regular basis, Tree of Life and FPCH.  I've always been the type of person that is drawn to kids, and them to me, so naturally I got attached pretty early on.  His name was Roosevelt (pronounced oos-velt) from Tree of Life.  He was 3 years old and as soon as we got there everyday he was raising his arms up for me to hold him and I'd hold him most of the day.  Like clockwork, every afternoon, he would start throwing fits.  And every afternoon I would hold him in my arms, sing him some songs, and put him down for a nap.  He stole my heart.

A couple weeks into the summer we drove up to Tree of Life on a Monday, just like we had been doing every Monday.  Something was different about this Monday though.  There weren't as many kids running up to greet us.  My initial thoughts were that they were busy playing inside.  What I quickly realized was that they were gone.  7 of them had left, including Roosevelt.  The reasons are too complicated to voice in this blog, but I hope and pray that they are safe with who they're with.

While working with Tree of Life and FPCH many of the other kids have left long lasting impacts on my life as well ... Anne Marie, Elemnia, Lovensky, Dudline, Dudvaline, Judline, Blondina to name a few.  I also developed the nickname "cray-cray" pretty early on from all of the kids.  I really think many of them thought that was actually my name, lol.

SMG

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you're taking time to write about your favorite memories from the summer. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with all the negatives from this summer, there are things that I don't want to forget!

      Delete
    2. I feel the same way. A lot of the things I have learned are not the things I wanted to learn this summer, but I'm still glad I'm here. Especially for those special moments with the kids. Anne Marie cried today because I told her I didn't think you'd get to come back and visit. But I was thinking... you leave on a Thursday? Maybe if your flight isn't first thing in the morning, you could go say goodbye really quick? Just throwing that out there.

      Delete
    3. aww it makes me sad that she cried ... I'm gonna try and go see them before I leave!

      Delete